Big picture it is important to recognize the importance of geodetic datums.

The market leading datum is WGS84 or GPS because it is (1) good enough for
military work,  and (2) GPS hardware is everywhere.

Before the space age,  geodetic datums were determined by optical
observations forming a network across a region.  Islands far from the coast
would get their own datum because the position of the island itself
relative to the mainland is uncertain.

In today's globalized world we have more reasons for datums.

I often see road crews using specialized GPS equipment with large
antennas.  These systems establish a datum around base station(s) which can
be precise to the centimetric range in the most advanced systems.

Measurements made with that kind of system will be NOT be precisely
comparable with measurements made in other places,  but you could dumb down
the claim to "WGS84" because it would still be that good.

Then there is quality in the sense of conformance to requirements;  we
might muck with some coordinates to make data useful.

For instance,  if you use a quality hand GPS to survey stars on the
Hollywood Walk of Fame and then plot the points on Google maps,  you
discover two MUST requirements are missing

(i) the stars are all in the correct order,  and
(ii) on the correct side of the street

which from the viewpoint of a pedestrian is a lot more important than the
fact that my images of Hollywood and Vine are rotated a bit relative to the
Big G's.

Thus, an augmented reality mobile app for the Hall of Fame would require
its own geodetic datum.

I spend more time walking in the woods than I do in L.A.,  and in the woods
there are similar but different concerns.  If you walk on a path that
closely follows a creek,  for instance,  a GPS trace may not agree with the
actual sequence of creek crossings -- something that would drive me nuts if
I was using a map while hiking in the woods.  You're supposed to fix
topological problems like that when you upload to Open Street Maps,  so
that is another sense of a privileged datum.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> For places where precision is required, has anyone given thought to
> using Geohash keys rather than lat/lon?
>
> The benefits of geohashing here is that you get both the location and
> also the precision values in a single object.
>
> As a secondary benefit, it can be used to index on a database with
> more ease than a standard lat/lon coordinate pair.
>
> - Serge

Paul Houle
Expert on Freebase, DBpedia, Hadoop and RDF
(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   ontolo...@gmail.com
http://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup