I am also interested in solving this for the article placeholder feature
where we show date from Wikidata when no local article exists.
We can't really just put the link to the non existent article into the
Wikidata item because the article might be created and then cover a
completely unrelated topic. We already have this problem with red links on
Wikipedia but it would be even worse on Wikidata.
I think the way to go is to have the Wikidata identifier used in the link
on the article. Question is how to do that nicely. I am happy to see the
template experiment. Are people generally ok with the way it works?

Cheers
Lydia