Hi Markus,

Thanks for your responses.  Markus, I think the point that Sebastian was
raising has more to do with practices for communities working on data
modeling for wikidata than specifically about OWL semantics.  Let me
explain a little further.  We are a group of 3-7 (depending on the week)
people working collaboratively on the task of loading wikidata with content
linking genes, diseases, and drugs.  Even amongst this small group, we have
struggled to keep our data modeling discussions orderly and productive -
even before entering into these discussions with the broader community.
Its a constant struggle to see the big picture.  One of the main reasons
for this (IMHO) is the lack of ways to view the structure of the model that
we are assembling as its being figured out.  This is a consequence of
wikidata's schema-free design.  e.g. on Freebase this problem was addressed
using their Type system.  For a given kind of thing, you could create/find
a Type to describe it and there you could argue about what set of
properties were most useful for representing things of that Type.  Wikidata
seems to want to deal with things one property at a time - which is fine
until you want to come up with a coherent collection of a number of related
properties and associated constraints that cover a particular domain.  For
that purpose an ontology and tools for looking at and thinking about the
ontology become very useful.  So..  currently we are experimenting with
webprotege as a place to collaboratively work through our data models
before entering into discussions on wikidata itself.  Thoughts on that as a
pattern for collaboration would be helpful - could/should we be doing this
all in wikidata?  Would some interface improvements be possible that
facilitated schema-level views and discussions?

The idea of working in OWL (though note that we are not currently using any
semantics beyond RDF-S) provides the added potential bonuses of
facilitating import/export and mappings to other linked data sources, but
this is really secondary to the social management challenge.

Emw,
We have not explicitly attempted to force alignment with BFO or OBO -
though we have been in touch with Chris Mungall about this and would
welcome help with such alignments either on webprotege or on wiki.  We are
driven very pragmatically based on the requirements generated by the data
sources that are next on the list for import but, as the ontology
discussion should indicate, want to do our best to help generate a clean
and effective model for the community to build upon.

-Ben