Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for clarifying. I see your problem and I agree with your approach. In fact, I think Webprotege is a big step forward in terms of collaborative ontology editing. One could certainly improve this much further, but there are many good ideas there. I am not sure that it would have the right workflows for working with a group more than, say, a dozen people on one part of an ontology, but maybe this is not needed for you now. It's also great as a kind of etherpad/Google Docs for ontologies.

Protege is not just OWL, so one could imagine WebProtege to support Wikidata-specific modelling. Maybe this would even be interesting as a project for the creators of the software. The question is what we would need there in terms of structure.

Regarding interaction with LOD sources, one has more options. In particular, one can export simplified statements (possibly filtered based on some of the statements' features) using simple RDF triples (giving up qualifiers). One can also work with seeAlso links to point to external resources without making a detailed statement about the relationship of this resource to an item. I think we can do a lot there without running into the difficulties you get when accurately representing statements in RDF and applying OWL to them.

Cheers,

Markus