Yes, in the pizza example Emw showed, the definition of "food" is
important. If what I ate this morning is a food, then pizza is a subclass
of food. This is consistent with the first sentence of
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nourriture of frwiki. And the fact that
"pizza" is an instance of food is a mistake, unfortunately a pretty common
one on Wikidata. We should write a query to find all such examples where an
item is both an instance and a subclass of the same class.

Now pizza is clearly a type of meal it could be relevant in a food
classification and could be very well be an instance of it, as it's a
preparation common people used to put whatever they can put on it,
similarly to https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q12486