Brill Lyle, 03/08/2016 13:30:
Huge barrier for Wikipedia end-users.

What makes you think so? Did you interview or observe users editing? In my experience, Wikidata is much easier for newbies to grasp than wikitext or even VisualEditor: like VisualEditor's template editor, Wikidata resembles a standard form, which people are used to.

We only need to make sure there are direct deep links from each piece of displayed (or missing) information to the statement on Wikidata where they are (or should be); and later add dialogs for direct editing from the client wikis, as was done long ago with the interlanguage links.

Nemo