Tim,

You explained what your problem is

"We use language to develop web-pages that have inferred human considered
meaning. Yet, the definition of these terms are not necessarily machine
readable. "

I just explained how to solve it.

And yes, your overkilling. :)

Our http://www.schema.org/sameAs property can be pointed to a dictionary
definition on the internet, or any other identity that gives more meaning
to a Thing your trying to describe.  We of course of
http://schema.org/description as well... even
http://schema.org/disambiguatingDescription so that you can make your own
definitions without even having to use sameAs.

-Thad