Overall, how do we deal with this duplication of information (on the
item about the identifier and on the corresponding Wikidata property)?

We do need to have items about unique identifiers (because they can have
sitelinks) so would it make sense to make sure every Wikidata property
for an ID is matched to a corresponding item about that id?

The problem is that many of our ids are not even advertised as UIDs by
the people who mint them (many are just a primary key of some database
leaking out from a URL pattern), so it would feel quite artificial to
have items about these (but that's just my gut feeling).

Antonin