Hi Thad,

I understand that an open Wiki has its advantages and disadvantages (I
sometimes prefer a system like StackOverflow, where you need a certain
reputation to do some things). I am afraid that a voting system simply
favors the opinions shared by the majority of Wikidata editors, namely a
Western worldview. And even within this subgroup opinions may legitimately
differ.

But there may be ways to avoid messing up the ontology while respecting the
wiki spirit. For example, a warning pop-up every time you edit an
ontological property (P31, P279, P361...). Something like: "OK, you added
the statement "a poodle is an instance of toy". Do you agree with the fact
that poodle is now a goods, a work, an artificial physical object? "

But that would only work for manual edits...