James, this would be possible the moment Wikibase team accept this to be a
requirement. This is not a technical issue, it's a philosophical one.
I have written a patch that allows wikis to customize it very easily, but
alas, no progress.  Feel free to chime in.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase/+/455480