Gerard, I like wikidata a lot, kudos to the community for keeping it going.
But keep it real, there is no exponential growth here.

We are looking at a slow and sustainable growth at the moment with possibly
a plateauing of number of users and when it comes to total number of
wikidata items. just take a look at the statistics.

Date | Content pages | Page edits since Wikidata was set up | Registered
users | Active users

4/2015  | 13,911,417  | 213,027,375 | 1,913,828 | 15,168
5/2016  | 17,432,789  | 328,781,525 | 2,688,788 | 16,833
7/2017  | 28,037,196  | 514,252,789 | 2,835,219 | 18,081
7/2018  | 49,081,962  | 701,319,718 | 2,970,150 | 18,578
4/2019  | 56,377,647  | 931,449,205 | 3,236,569 | 20,857

When you refer to "growing like a weed". What's that page views? queries
per day? Mentions in the media?

Best,
Marco

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 3:36 PM Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> This mail thread is NOT about the issues that I or others face at this
> time. They are serious enough but that is not for this thread. People are
> working hard to find a solution for now.  That is cool.
>
> What I want to know is are we technically and financially ready for a
> continued exponential growth. If so, what are the plans and what if those
> plans are needed in half the time expected. Are we ready for a continued
> growth. When we hesitate we will lose the opportunities that are currently
> open to us.
> Thanks,
>        GerardM
>
> On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 16:24, Thad Guidry <thadgui...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Gerard mentioned the PROBLEM in the 2nd sentence.  I read it clearly....
>>
>> >we all experience in the really bad response times we are suffering. It
>> is so bad that people are asked what kind of updates they are running
>> because it makes a difference in the lag times there are.
>>
>> The response times are typically attributed to SPARQL queries from what I
>> have seen, as well as applying multiple edits with scripts or mass
>> operations. Although I recall there is a light queue mechanism inherent in
>> the Blazegraph architecture that contributes to this, and I am fine with
>> slower writes.
>>
>> What most users are not comfortable with is the slower reads in different
>> areas of Wikidata.
>> We need to identify those slow read areas or figure out a way to get
>> consensus on what parts of Wikidata reading affect our users the most.
>>
>> So let's be constructive here:
>> Gerard - did you have specific areas that affect your daily work, and
>> what from of work is that (reading/writing , which areas) ?
>>
>> Thad
>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/

---
Marco Neumann