On 6/10/19 10:54 AM, Guillaume Lederrey wrote:
>> - Virtuoso has proven quite useful. I don't want to advertise here, but the
>> thing they have going for DBpedia uses ridiculous hardware, i.e. 64GB RAM
>> and it is also the OS version, not the professional with clustering and
>> repartition capability. So we are playing the game since ten years now:
>> Everybody tries other databases, but then most people come back to virtuoso.
>> I have to admit that OpenLink is maintaining the hosting for DBpedia
>> themselves, so they know how to optimise. They normally do large banks as
>> customers with millions of write transactions per hour. In LOD2 they also
>> implemented column store features with MonetDB and repartitioning in
>> clusters.
> I'm not entirely sure how to read the above (and a quick look at
> virtuoso website does not give me the answer either), but it looks
> like the sharding / partitioning options are only available in the
> enterprise version. That probably makes it a non starter for us.

Virtuoso Cluster Edition is as described by Sebastian in an earlier post
to this thread [1]. Online that's behind our LOD Cloud cache which hosts
40 Billion+ triples, but still using ridiculously cheap hard-ware for
the share-nothing cluster.

As Jerven has already articulated [2], the single-server open source
edition of Virtuoso can also scale to 40 Billion+ triples as
demonstrated by Uniprot amongst others.

There's a publicly available Google Spreadsheet that provides insights
into a variety of Virtuoso configurations that you can also look at
regarding resource requirements [3].

Bottom line, Virtuoso has no fundamental issues with performance, scale,
or security (most haven't hit this bump yet, but its coming!) regarding
RDF-data deployed in line with Linked Data principles.

We are always opened to collaboration with anyone (or group) seeking to
fully exploit the power and promise of a Semantic Web derived from
Linked Data :)

Links:

[1] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikidata/2019-June/013132.html
-- Sebastian Hellman comment

[2] https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikidata/2019-June/013143.html
-- Jerven Bolleman comment

[3]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-stlTC_WJmMU3xA_NxA1tSLHw6_sbpjff-5OITtrbFw/
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-stlTC_WJmMU3xA_NxA1tSLHw6_sbpjff-5OITtrbFw/edit?ouid=112399767740508618350&usp=sheets_home&ths=true>
-- Virtuoso configurations sample spreadsheet

[4] https://hub.docker.com/u/openlink/ -- Docker Hub offerings

[5] https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B00ZWMSNOG -- Amazon
Marketplace BYOL Edition

[6] https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B011VMCZ8K -- Amazon