Hi!

> Unlike, most sites we do have our own custom frontend in front of
> virtuoso. We did this to allow more styling, as well as being flexible
> and change implementations at our whim. e.g. we double parse the SPARQL
> queries and even rewrite some to be friendlier. I suggest you do the
> same no matter which DB you use in the end, and we would be willing to
> open source ours (it is in Java, and uses RDF4J and some ugly JSPX but
> it works, if not to use at least as an inspiration). We did this to
> avoid being locked into endpoint specific features.

It would be interesting to know more about this, if this is open source.
Is there any more information about it online?

> Pragmatically, while WDS is a Graph database, the queries are actually
> very relational. And none of the standard graph algorithms are used. To

If you mean algorithms like A* or PageRank, then yes, they are not used
too much (likely also because SPARQL has no standard support for any of
these, too), though Blazegraph implements some of them as custom services.

> be honest RDF is actually a relational system which means that
> relational techniques are very good at answering them. The sole issue is
> recursive queries (e.g. rdfs:subClassOf+) in which the virtuoso
> implementation is adequate but not great.

Yes, path queries are pretty popular on WDQS too, especially given as
many relationships like administrative/territorial placement or
ownership are hierarchical and transitive, which often requires path
queries.

> This is why recovering physical schemata from RDF data is such a
> powerful optimization technique [1]. i.e. you tend to do joins not
> traversals. This is not always true but I strongly suspect it will hold
> for the vast majority of the Wikidata Query Service case.

Would be interesting to see if we can apply anything from the article.
Thanks for the link!

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org