On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 09:41:51PM +0200, Finn Aarup Nielsen wrote:

> Changing the subject a bit:
>
> I am surprised to see how many SPARQL requests go to the endpoint when
> performing a ShEx validation with the shex-simple Toolforge tool. They are
> all very simple and quickly complete. For each Wikidata item tested, one of
> our tests [1] requests tens of times. That is, testing 100 Wikidata items
> may yield thousands of requests to the endpoint in rapid succession.
>
> I suppose that given the simple SPARQL queries, these kinds of requests
> might not load WDQS very much.

It's true; they require no joins are are designed to be answerable by
only looking at the index. That said, given that they offer virtually
no load, running them with API access to the Blaze getStatements() [2]
would make validation thousands of times faster and eliminate parsing
and query planning time on the SPARQL server.

> [1]
> https://tools.wmflabs.org/shex-simple/wikidata/packages/shex-webapp/doc/shex-simple.html?data=Endpoint:%20https://query.wikidata.org/sparql&hideData&manifest=[]&textMapIsSparqlQuery&schemaURL=%2F%2Fwww.wikidata.org%2Fwiki%2FSpecial%3AEntitySchemaText%2FE65
[2]
https://www.programcreek.com/java-api-examples/?class=org.eclipse.rdf4j.repository.RepositoryConnection&method=getStatements