Hi!

As part of our Wikidata Query Service setup, we maintain the namespace
serving DCAT-AP (DCAT Application Profile) data[1]. (If you don't know
what I'm talking about you can safely ignore the rest of the message).

Recent check showed that this namespace is virtually unused - over the
last two months, only 3 query per month were served from that namespace,
and all of them coming from WMF servers (not sure whether it's a tool or
somebody querying manually, did not dig further).

So I wonder if it makes sense to continue maintaining this namespace?
While it does not require very significant effort - it's mostly
automated - it does need occasional attention when maintenance is
performed, and some scripts and configurations become slightly more
complex because of it. No big deal if somebody is using it, that's what
the service is for, but if it is completely unused, no point is spending
even minimal effort on it, at least on main production servers (of
course, it'd be possible to set up a simple SPARQL server in labs with
the same data).

In any case, RDF dcatap data will be available in
https://dumps.wikimedia.org/wikidatawiki/entities/dcatap.rdf, no change
is planned there, but if the namespace is phased out, the data could no
longer be queried using WDQS. One could still download it and, since
it's a very small dataset, use any tool that can read RDF to parse it
and work with it.

I'd like to hear from anybody interested in this whether they are using
this namespace or plan to use it and what for. Please either answer here
or even better in the task[2] on Phabricator.

[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikidata_Query_Service/User_Manual#DCAT-AP
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@wikimedia.org