We are go!

Otago Polytechnic will be signing the Capetown
Declaration<http://www.capetowndeclaration.org/>on Open Education this
Friday 9 May at Phil's Forum G106 12 noon NZST.

While I and several others are on record expressing reservations over the
wording of the Declaration, this signing is more about our expression of
support for the spirit of the thing, and reaffirming our commitment to open
education formally set in place by our Intellectual Property policy (2007).

Otago Polytechnic has been at the fore of almost every recent step in the
international effort for Open Education including significant work on the
Wikieducator platform; use of popular and internationally recognised media
and communication platforms; developing an Intellectual Property Policy in
line with open educational practices; adopting a NZ Creative Commons
Attribution copyright license; and ensuring that its spokespeople are very
much a part of the dialogue on educational media and communications
nationally. We have featured in international news: twice on
CreativeCommons.org; twice with the Commonwealth of Learning, numerous times
in educational journals and countless weblogs. Our joining in the Capetown
Declaration will see that Otago Polytechnic remains in this spotlight to
confirm our commitment to Open Education and leading New Zealand towards a
progressive and appropriate future for its educational institutions in our
local and global society.

I sincerely hope as many people as possible can drop what they are doing and
be there to show support for this act of solidarity and leadership. Otago
Polytechnic will be the first institution in Australia or New Zealand to
join 157 other institutions in the Declaration since it was penned September
2007. I look forward to seeing you on Friday. Please bring a friend with a
camera.

Regards
Leigh