Hi Stephen, Leo and friends.

Stephen is an international icon in the world of digital learning and is
an exemplary advocate for free software in education.  Without getting
into the rhetoric of free versus libre, Stephen makes a compelling
argument but the NC restriction is not supported by the WikiEducator
community.  Apology for the long email -- but this relates to a core
value of our community project.

WikiEducator subscribes to the Free Cultural Works Definition with
regards to our interpretation of the meaning of free content.
(http://freedomdefined.org/Definition ) -- this covers the generic
freedoms derived from the free software movement, for convenience listed
here:

      * The freedom to use the work and enjoy the benefits of using it
      * The freedom to study the work and to apply knowledge acquired
        from it
      * The freedom to make and redistribute copies, in whole or in
        part, of the information or expression
      * The freedom to make changes and improvements, and to distribute
        derivative works

However in addition to these requirements the WikiEducator community,
through the free cultural works definition specifies a number of
additional requirements (these are not optional) in our community.
Again, I quote from the free content definition:

In order to be considered free, a work must be covered by a Free Culture
License, or its legal status must provide the same essential freedoms
enumerated above. It is not, however, a sufficient condition. Indeed, a
specific work may be non-free in other ways that restrict the essential
freedoms. These are the additional conditions in order for a work to be
considered free:

      * Availability of source data: Where a final work has been
        obtained through the compilation or processing of a source file
        or multiple source files, all underlying source data should be
        available alongside the work itself under the same conditions.
        This can be the score of a musical composition, the models used
        in a 3D scene, the data of a scientific publication, the source
        code of a computer application, or any other such information.
      * Use of a free format: For digital files, the format in which the
        work is made available should not be protected by patents,
        unless a world-wide, unlimited and irrevocable royalty-free
        grant is given to make use of the patented technology. While
        non-free formats may sometimes be used for practical reasons, a
        free format copy must be available for the work to be considered
        free.
      * No technical restrictions: The work must be available in a form
        where no technical measures are used to limit the freedoms
        enumerated above.
      * No other restrictions or limitations: The work itself must not
        be covered by legal restrictions (patents, contracts, etc.) or
        limitations (such as privacy rights) which would impede the
        freedoms enumerated above. A work may make use of existing legal
        exemptions to copyright (in order to cite copyrighted works),
        though only the portions of it which are unambiguously free
        constitute a free work.

Consequently you cannot upload proprietary formats on WIkiEducator. Try
uploading an MSWord document or Powerpoint <smile>. We believe that
legally the SA provisions are strong enough to protect against
commercial exploitation. For instance, should a publishing company want
to user and publish the OER Handbook currently under development in WE,
and they want to add an additional chapter or translate the work --
there is a legal requirement to release the derivative works under the
same conditions they received the originals -- including the requirement
of free formats etc.

In the real world -- I guess this will be difficult to police and
monitor.  However, the same holds true for NC content that is use
inappropriately by commercial exploiters.

The WIkiEducator supports both the CC-BY and CC-BY-SA licenses (The
Share Alike is our default unless specified by the author at the onset
of a project.)

WE do not support the non-commercial restriction for two reasons:

      * It does not meet the requirements of the Free Cultural Works
        definition as the right to sell a compilation is deemed a
        restriction of essential freedoms;
      * WE has a strong focus on the development agenda, in particular
        the first Millennium Development Goal associated with the
        eradication of abject poverty. Simply stated WE do not wish to
        deny the rights of individuals to earn a living (See:
        http://wikieducator.org/WikiEducator:M_and_E_Overview ) and this
        is communicated as a value by not entertaining the NC
        restriction.

Our approach is to open up and encourage wide distribution of free
content through multiple distribution channels -- even if that means
some people earn a living by doing this. WE are also committed to
widening access to educational materials in response to MDG 3. In the
event that a company subscribes to practices that are designed to
restrict access (eg. bribes, restraint of trade agreements, exclusive
distribution) this could be an opportunity for another company to open
the distribution in competition to the more closed corporate approach.

In my view the open approach is likely to be more successful in the long
run -- even if we need to jump over a few hurdles in the early phases of
the OER initiative.

Stephen -- appreciate your comments on the list.