Chris, Stephen and WE friends

There is an important challenge for both sides of the free cultural
works "fence"  and that is reality that free content is not free
software.  In the case of free software the open code is the free
software and can be compiled by anyone with the relevant ICT skills.

However, in the case of "compiled" text in the form of book -- it is far
easier to "lock" down access.  Stephen has used a powerful illustration
of how the access to public domain artifacts can be restricted through
commercial models. (Sorry, Stephen I don't have the url link -- working
from memory here <smile>)  Stephen was referring to cultural works of
art by the masters which are legally in the public domain to be enjoyed
by everyone. Setting aside the issues of the impact of flash lights on
art works etc., museums typically sell copyrighted prints and or photos
of the artwork with considerable profit margins.  The point in this
example is that a commercial model is denying access to enjoy something
which is in the public domain. Stephen has a valid argument that content
is different from software.

I also think that we should place the licensing debates in context.
Licenses are merely tools and should not be mechanisms to regulate
behaviour.   WE shares the same intent as Stephen and others i.e. to
provide unrestricted access to free content materials. However we have
different opinions concerning whether the NC restriction is an effective
mechanism to achieve these aims or not.

At the end of the day -- If Stephen is the copyright holder of an
CC-BY-SA-NC resource -- I can always talk with Stephen about my
intentions and how WE manage and promote open access to digital formats
and whether he would be prepared to release the resource under CC-BY-SA
for WE. Similarly Stephen can chat with me as a copyright holder of a
resource I authored in WE under CC-BY-SA and seek my permission for him
to release the derivative work under a CC-BY-SA-NC license.  The
original versions would still be available under their original
licences.

Time will tell which strategies will achieve the shared intents and
beliefs we hold.

Ultimately this reduces to a personal choice regarding who's rights and
freedoms we choose to uphold.  Learners, authors, future authors or the
freedoms of the content itself.  As an advocate of the freedom culture
-- I have an obligation to respect the freedoms of other to choose
accordingly.