Comments

Re: University of the People - Providing Low Cost Online Degree Courses
Worldwide

alqpr, January 27, 2009

It may be of interest to note that the UoP founder Shai Reshef's main
enterprise, cramster.com, appears to be a website designed at least in
part to facilitate cheating on homework.

And this expands further on the above comment

http://fm.schmoller.net/2009/01/university-of-the-people---providing-fre
e-acc.html

UoP (a not-for-profit) is coy about costs:

"The University of the People plans at this stage to charge only nominal
application fee ($15-$50) and examination fees ($10-$100), which will be
adjusted on a sliding scale based on the student's country of origin."

and will start with two degree courses, a BA in Business Administration
and a BSc in Computer Science, running over ~four years for full-time
students. Currently, UoP says it "intends to apply for accreditation
from recognized authorities as soon as possible".

Shai Reshef, the founder, is a serial entrepreneur with a very strong
track record in making this kind of thing work. For example, a
Netherlands-based for-profit company Reshef chaired, and which was
subsequently sold to Laureate Inc. [PDF], was the delivery partner for a
range of Liverpool University online masters courses.

Comments

It may be of interest to note that Mr Shai Reshef's main enterprise,
cramster.com, appears to be a website designed at least in part to
enable students to get help with their homework, including the
collection and publication of solutions to the even numbered questions
from textbooks that already come packaged with complete worked solutions
for their odd numbered problems. Since the even-numbered questions are
often used for assignments I think it is reasonable to interpret the
publication of their solutions as facilitation of cheating.

Having been challenged by Seb on this, I would have to agree that of
course homework of all kinds is by its nature done on the "honour
system", and most instructors encourage students to work to some extent
cooperatively. But there is a difference between struggling together to
solve a problem or discuss an issue, and just copying a prepared answer
or essay. Facilitating the latter undermines both the learning and
evaluative value of the exercise and so I do think it can fairly be
referred to as cheating.

Cheers,
Patricia