Maria said:

Do you know of more good (non-evil) examples of using this economic model?

Facilitating Online
Communities<http://www.wikieducator.org/Facilitating_online_communities>follows
this model. Participation is free, accreditation comes at a fee.

This year we are aiming to offer accreditation free as well - running the
course 100% on the small government subsidy we get, and offering the course
and accreditation free to all.

We will be testing this on the Flexible
Learning<http://www.wikieducator.org/Designing_for_flexible_learning_practice>course
starting in March. (NB, the page is getting an overhaul at the
moment).

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Scott Newson <scott.g.new...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Maria's comment about the 'price of entry' is very interesting, I never
> thought about the non-monetary costs of access to educational resources. I
> also agree with Maria in that there can be reasonable differentiation
> between the free resources and the for-cost resources provided by a project.
> The statements that the university will "not charge students to take
> classes" and that there are examinations "for which students must pay a...
> fee" do not seem contradictory to me. The resources that have per-use cost
> (such as blocks of face-to-face instructional time, or  graded
> examinations), need that cost to be covered by someone, and I see no reason
> why it shouldn't be those who benefit from the given resource.
> As a counterpoint to what I have just said I would like to clearly voice my
> support for open educational resources. Resources that are free to develop,
> copy, and distribute should not have arbitrary limitations on their access.
>
> Having taken only a quick tour through cramster.com, I agree with the
> previous comments that it seems to be a website with a single-minded focus
> on providing correct solutions for homework problems at the expense of
> explaining the answers and supporting learning. This is unfortunate, but I
> wouldn't see it as proof that it's founder is just out to make a profit from
> by supporting cheating. Optimistically it would just seem to be a well
> minded project that got co-opted by the wrong users and ended up as a tool
> to improve grades by collecting answers to questions. (I've heard of several
> student clubs with that as their main goal. Some were even funded by student
> union fees...)
>
> What about the theoretical idea of providing a completely open resouce
> university or educational facility based solely on the internet? It seems at
> first glance to be very much along the lines of what WikiEducator is aiming
> for, but perhaps open education resouces would be better used as supporting
> resources in real institutions with more traditional structure...
>
> Thanks for the varied thoughts and comments!
>
> Scott
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Maria Droujkova <droujk...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I am thinking of an economic model where resources that don't require
>> human support - lecture tapes, class notes, problems and solutions, software
>> - are free, but there may be associated "human services" that are neither
>> mandatory, nor free. Isn't it like MIT, though? You can get all their
>> "stuff" online free, but services such as participatory learning with live
>> students and professors, or being graded on your tests, are not free (nor
>> easily accessible, for that matter - the "price of entry" is steep in time
>> and effort).
>>
>> Do you know of more good (non-evil) examples of using this economic model?

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost