From: kirby urner <kirby.ur...@gmail.com>
To: wikieducator@googlegroups.com
Sent: Tue, September 14, 2010 5:54:29 AM
Subject: [WikiEducator] prototyping voting machines in democracy-funded schools

VOTING MACHINES IN SCHOOLS

Those following the many conflict-of-interest stories
that have always plagued the voting vista, might
appreciate the advisability of having schools serve
as "testbeds for democracy" in those systems
favoring this form of self-government (not all of
them do).

The idea is to use both paper ballots and electronic
systems of various kinds (optical scanners, touch
screens...), with vendors invited to field test, getting
some positive visibility for so doing.

It's not just the "polling booth" that we care about,
but the back end tabulation system and, most
important, all the safeguards and cross-checks that
make election results auditable, perhaps permanently
on record (just like famous sports contests, forever
archived to videotape (yes, I know, videotape has a
half-life)).

Students and faculty will have responsible administrative
roles in what amount to realistic simulations, using
equipment the vendors hope will someday see the
light of day in higher stakes arenas.

Not every high school would need to test every make
and model.  However, a lot the the proposed electronic
systems run as open source software on commodity
hardware, perhaps with some custom peripherals (a
particular kind of touch screen for example).

I say "high schools" without meaning to exclude
colleges and universities from running similar experiments
(many already do).  However, I'm particularly interested
in moves to revitalize the "teenage wasteland" layer,
which by most accounts is where major breakage
occurs.

GATHERING PUBLIC SECTOR RESOURCES

I'm not sure what materials on Wikieducator and
other open courseware repositories already contain,
as far as technical information regarding the various
secret balloting technologies (from paper based
tabulation to LCD based).

A context for this thread is my having just attended
a conference called DjangoCon, here in Portland,
Oregon.  Django is a free and open source framework
for developing web applications, anything that runs
through a web browser and likely talks to a back
end database.  Congressman Wu, chairman of a
House subcommittee on Technology and Innovation,
gave one of the keynotes.

I've been watching this initiative take shape through
my Pauling House Campus connections as well.
Linus Pauling, x2 Nobel prize winner, launched many
of his chemistry studies right here near the foot of Mt.
Tabor, an extinct volcano within our city limits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tabor,_Portland,_Oregon

>From a recent posting to our discussion list:

"""
PS: getting working voting machines in the high schools is a really
good idea. Encourage kids to learn what makes them tick. Have
several mock elections every week, on all kinds of student and
faculty proposed topics. Look for cheats, discover schemes, do some
dry runs for that real world you're about to get into... It's also
a good idea because it'll be veeeery interesting to find out what
politicians feel the have the political capital to fight against it.
What, too expensive? Open source? C'mon!
"""

I'll post a follow-up link to the Math Forum when it appears,
then to more journalism in the blogosphere I might happen
across (I'm mostly looking into the Python community these
days, i.e. those using the Python programming language,
an eclectic group).

Here it is already:
http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7203847&tstart=0

MAKING CYBERSPACE SAFER

What's related to this thread, even if you're not looking at
prototyping voting infrastructure, is creating a safe intranet.
I'm a liberal arts type in espousing free and unfettered access
to information, but the flip side is vulnerability to malware,
malignant memes, a lot of those crazy ideas a strong
education will supply you with antibodies to fight, but a
weak one will leave you prey to.  Schools need to provide
something like a sandbox, relatively free of malicious predators,
and this is one reason why adopting Internet policies is
so slow.**

Here's a recent post somewhat belaboring the obvious in
this respect (that newbies are vulnerable, especially if
untrained).  The lesson extends to those experimenting
with democracy though.  Rigged voting equipment is
malware as well.

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2010/09/internet-is-broken.html

The post just before it chronicles Congressman Wu's recent
visit to our esoteric little conference (only about 250 attendees).

Kirby

** entertaining true story:  our local police department in
Hillsboro, home of Intel, was feeling really frustrated by how
the schools were turning the Internet into something scary
and fascist, expected police to show up and make everyone
worry about downloading free stuff (pirating), prono, chat
rooms -- whatever behaviors.  Lots of lurking dangers out
there, sure, but what about the stuff that's legally free, like
the web browser itself, maybe even the whole operating
system.  Why weren't the schools teaching more about
that.  The police were so frustrated they set up a Linux
lab in the police station and hired teachers out of their
own budget to work with the kids, showing 'em healthy,
happy  ways to enjoy their heritage, with just the right level
of paranoia to steer clear of creeps and perps.  I know about
all this because I was one of the teachers.  This was years
ago.  Have the schools sufficiently improved?