Hi Simon,

In text below

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM, simonfj <simo...@cols.com.au> wrote:

> Dear Wayne,
>
> Thanks with your patience. This is the last long rave from me. The
> next ones will be about scoping a (sustainable) proof-of-concept
> project for funding, to address "some challenges". Call them "Grand
> Challenges". See slide 7 of Jan Bakker's  presentation at this
> European Network manager's meeting.
> http://www.terena.org/activities/tf-msp/meetings/20110301/
>
> Jan works for a subsidiary of the surffoundation. It seems to be, on a
> National basis, what you will be aiming for on a Global one with the
> OER foundation. I need to clarify my thinking a bit more, so bear with
> me.
>
> I'm a little lost as to why you might feel, after recording an event
> or blogging a conference, there would be any reason to "assert
> copyright". If, as one example, Sir John were simply to open a blog
> with a cc license, as many lecturers do, and attach all his
> presentation materials, there would no reason for us to even be having
> this conversation. You'd just point, directly, after and before
> events, to the horse's mouth.

All rights reserved Copyright is asserted as a default -- So for example,
Sir John does not blog with a default CC-BY or CC-BY-SA license. The default
license used by the Commonwealth of Learning is all rights reserved. This is
why its important to educate educators about the legal tools and options for
granting permissions.

> Admittedly, I am no lawyer, although I have worked in most positions
> of the "professional media". OERers are trying to encourage "Creative
> Commons by default". Surely this is a governmental exercise, not one
> for universities. All they can do is hope that, as an instrument of A
> government, the laws may be changed in their jurisdiction.

Well, national copyright laws determine the default ownership of Copyright
(mostly under the paramaters of the Berne Convention.) . It most instances,
creative works produced under employment belong to the employer (unless
there are contractual exceptions.)

I would argue that OER and corresponding copyright is the responsibility of
universities, colleges and polytechnics. As owners of the copyright of the
teaching materials produced through employment, they have the authority to
change IP policies in support of OER. Its highly unlikely that governments
will intervene with the autonomy of universities.

> I'm just looking through the list of governments who have enabled this
> legislation (after Googling "creative common by default"). It's a nice
> evolution to watch. But Governments just confirm (eventually) what
> their institutional members are thinking or/and doing. Policy (change)
> follows Practice; not vice versa. No?

Yes, in government circles, policy does tend to follow practice. However
there are leading examples from progressive governments who are moving
forward in opening up copyright - -see for example NZGOAL:
http://www.e.govt.nz/policy/nzgoal

> In practical terms, policy won't change the habits of (E.g.)
> Institutional librarians to pay hundreds of millions of dollars per
> year to buy back the aggregations of their (research) authors from
> third party publishers. Nor does it stop Institutional librarians
> taking money from their National governments, at different times, to
> try and aggregate "their" author's materials on the same basis as "the
> third party" publishers. Most countries can boast this kind of
> stillborn attempt at progress = http://www.arrow.edu.au/ They die
> because the projects are National.

There is already, in my view, a critical mass of openly licensed materials
to make a start. The OERu will be targeting qualifications based solely on
OER. Institutions will have a choice - -spending millions of dollars
protecting closed resources, or reinvesting a small percentage in OER to
improve the sustainability of education.

> In "the learning part of the equation", the problem unis have is they
> are Nationally-centric/funded institutions in a Globalizing world. We
> also know the progressives within them, like P2P, OCWC, WE, etc, are
> pushing their National envelopes into the Global space and searching
> for a sustainable business model. So surely, if "professional
> educators" are attempting to "add value" in this global space, we
> could encourage more progress by helping our old National institutions
> learn how to solve their (own) aggregation/dissemination problem. (As
> Jan Bakker suggests).

Universities have been working internationally since medieval times  -->
consider the exchange of scholars between Bolgne and Oxford. I agree that in
a digital world, international collaboration is easier. I believe that
opening up restrictive copyright combined with open and editable file
formats will be enough to trigger global learning space where we can provide
free learning to all students worldwide in a sustainable way.

> The talk in the uni's network managers' space is reaching towards a
> new networking model - we can call it Federated Sign On (to a) Cloud.
> This means that the WE's of the world will log on to their country's
> institutional networks (NREN) as members of various global groups;
> whose member institutions share reciprocal rights and apps (which are
> called "common services" by their techs). It is to "common services"
> what the wiki model is to "common content".

The Cloud is the way things are going and we host WE in the cloud. This must
be combined with open intellectual property policies to ensure organic and
sustainable growth.

> The two developments are now beginning to focus on the need for a
> "common directory". And just reading through this thread,
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/oer-university/browse_thread/thread/ce0658f1954e59fa#
> ,
> it's pretty clear that this directory will be pointing to online
> environments which have global groups of "subject-matter experts" at
> their core.
>
> I don't think we necessarily need a "common directory" --> what we need is
a multitude of directories which can talk seamlessly with one another. OER
wants to be free -- it doesn't care which repository or directory references
it.

> The economics of OER are obvious. As you say "If ten institutions
> collaborate on this course development using existing OER and filling
> the gaps, it is cheaper than doing this alone". So you can imagine how
> surprised I was to see Sarah Stewart trying to come to terms with a
> "sustainability model". She hasn't a global team to work with that can
> support development of the "whole program". I would have thought that,
> after the Dunedin meeting, Sarah would have been introduced to her
> peers at the "anchor institutions", so they could figure out on what
> basis they would share the load, in growing an online community,
> developing/sharing the courseware & recognizing institutional
> credentials. (or issuing consortia credentials).

That's a good example -- in the case of Otago Polytechnic, the default IP
license is CC-BY. Therefore all Sarah's outputs are openly licensed and will
contribute back to the sustainability of the ecosystem. The are multiple
levels of sustainability, individual level, course level, institutional
level, national and global.  The OERu is working at the global level -->
Sarah's work will contribute to what we are aiming to achieve and the global
work of OERu will help Sarah achieve her objectives. Remember that Otago
Polytechnic is an anchor partner in the OERu and so the institution is
connected with its global peers.