On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:21 AM, David Goodman <dgoodma...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip a lot of details of journal/database licensing for libraries,
which are consistent with my experience in the field>

> There is an alternate pathway. WPedians should find out what databases
> their local public library already subscribes to,and use them. They
> should then urge their public libraries to subscribe to what they
> need. The subscription rates for public libraries for limited subsets
> of JSTOR are not very high, but few public libraries subscribe, as
> they do not see a demand. Any library would rather spend its money on
> what its patrons will actually use, and ask for.

I agree that this is by far the most practical way to go. Journal &
database licensing is not too different from software licensing...
asking to buy a license for JSTOR for all Wikipedia editors is a lot
like asking to buy a group license for Microsoft Word for all
Wikipedia editors. Expensive, impractical, distinctly non-free, and of
questionable benefit for many. Taking full advantage of your public
library, however, is precisely what they are there for. Those within
range of a good university can typically be a "walk-in" patron and use
their resources on-site, as well.

Institutionally, I think our collective energies would be better spent
supporting the open access movement, free reference databases, efforts
to freely digitize public domain materials, etc. Slowly but surely we
can chip away at closed scholarship...

The problem of backing up our articles with solid scholarship is a big
one, but not one that simple access to any particular database solves.
For one thing, there's hundreds on hundreds of databases (which simply
point to the literature) out there, and thousands and thousands of
journals (which publish the literature) that are indexed by them. For
another thing, as an encyclopedia, we're a tertiary source: what we
really need access to are the best of the secondary sources out there,
the specialty encyclopedias and guides and handbooks that summarize
information, not (in most cases) the original journal literature.*
It's true that wider access for some full-text databases would be very
helpful: particularly news and business databases, perhaps, that would
include biographies for many of our BLPs. But fortunately these are
the databases most likely to be available in public library settings,
and unfortunately for everyone a lot of the very best reference
sources are still in print.

-- phoebe

* I say this as someone who has spent a lot of time trying to
reference Wikipedia articles, on all sorts of topics, using the full
arsenal of a good university library.