Regardless of who speaks what, the original poster is referring to
debates over which format to use when. Ex: January 1, 2009 ; 1 January
2009 ; or even 2009 January 1.

With the automatic date formatting... People that *cared* about which
one they saw when reading articles could just change it in their
preferences. Now the only way to see dates in their preferred format
is to change articles to their format. This creates tension and
disputes, similar to how the spelling differences of Canadian,
English, US, Australia, etc cased disputes. (and still do cause
disputes). I think there are a few entries in [[WP:LAME]] on that
topic.

If auto formatting is tossed aside long term, we will have to create
conventions for articles similar to how spelling works to prevent more
lame editwars.