"Todd Allen" <toddmal...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2a34d5a90902152157k5534f173g83c5c67ad6f83...@mail.gmail.com...
regarding http://www.fractint.org/
(...)
> If the intent of the license is "We could force someone to pay for
> distribution rights at some point and deny them those rights if they
> don't pay up", it is not a free license. Free licenses include freedom
> to use commercially.
(...)

Some of the authors of the software provide full contact addresses (e-mail
and snail), so I think CC-BY-SA tag applies; if you change it, use it, or
want work done on it, then remuneration by donation is *somewhat* optional,
and you cannot market the changes, because the people who provided the code
did not intend it for sale. If some major distributor picked it up, or
someone did a major overhaul to make it run under Windows proper, and then
sold it (I suspect that UltraFractal is along those lines, because it
contains a bug in the outside=atan view that was in a version of Fractint
before ver. 2003), then royalties would come due, and it would be
impractical to figure out who is owed how much. So, I am still thinking
CC-BY-SA, and at cost or less.