Carcharoth wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> Carcharoth wrote:

>>> And the -ware suffix does show that it is a product.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/-ware
>>>
>>> That article's a bit rubbish, but gives you some idea.
>>>
>> Treating "ware" as a suffix is what makes it rubbish as much as anything
>> else.  "Ware" is the root noun in the word, and it would be more correct
>> to treat "free-" or "share-" or "soft-" as attributive prefixes.
>>
> Interesting. I wouldn't disagree, and "ware" (usually plural) is a
> word in its own right. How would *you* reorganise things relating to
> "ware" on Wikipedia? There is Ware (disambiguation) and the town.
> Where do you go from there?

I would remove the hyphen from the entry, and rename the page to [[Ware
(commodity)]].  Alternatively, the small town could be moved to [[Ware,
England]].  There is also the argument that this all belongs in
Wiktionary, where the entry is similarly screwed up, even to the point
of suggesting that "ware" is in computer parlance is backformed from
"software"

Apart from that the basic ideas are there; they just need to be
re-organised.

Ec