David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/2/23 Ben Kovitz <bkov...@acm.org>:
>

>>> I'm feeling pretty hot about salience at the moment.  I'll take a crack
>>> at a short essay tonight, incorporating what people have posted here.
>>>

>> Couldn't wait.  List of topics is now here:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BenKovitz/Salience
>> Thanks, Charles, for suggesting the word "salience". :)
>>

> There was some coverage of this matter in WP:BLP - that only
> noteworthy details of a noteworthy person should be included. (The
> hypothetical example given is the subject having had a messy divorce -
> for a minorly notable physicist it's probably not relevant, for a
> politician it may have been a widely reported scandal.)

There was also something, once upon a time, at [[Wikipedia:Conflict of
interest]] - I was rather proud of "Wikipedia is not paper, and nor is
it a Christmas newsletter".  Stuff that resembles "vanity" may do so
because it lacks salience. If it looks like newslettercruft it probably
should go.

Charles