wjhon...@aol.com wrote:
> That is why we really have to allow the community to decide what *it*
> finds interesting, important, salient and not try to impose too much
> from the top down.  The community should be creating from the
> bottom-up and our "rules" should merely reflect what the community is
> doing in this type of case.
>
> If many members of the community want to know the names of Brad Pitt's
> children, then we should allow that, if they can be sourced. Names do
> not invade privacy when they have already been widely disseminated.  I
> can find the information in about two seconds.  Reflection of what is
> reality is not an "invasion" of privacy.
>
> Now, as our policy already states, if the only way to find a piece of
> information is with a primary source, and if the door to that
> information has not been already opened by a mention of some sort in a
> secondary source, than we should not include it either.  However many
> sources mention that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have children, and
> so we should as well.  Some sources mention their names as well, and
> so we should as well.

What is true is that reasonable people can disagree, in the abstract, on
where "salience" begins or ends.  I think it tends to be clearer in
front of a concrete case, at least if the article is properly organised
into sections.  The point I was making is that our biographies amount to
about 1% of the content of a book biography.

I don't think we get far with the general case by taking Brangelina as
an example: it is an obvious "outlier" for BLP discussions.

Charles