In light of recent events I would support the creation of a new list dedicated
to creating policy for mailing lists, provided it was open to any participant
and itself was not moderated.

Any moderated list, dedicated to discussing moderation, is open to abuse by any
selected moderators.? I'm on several completely unmoderated lists and we in
general have very little problem with things like spam or whatever horrors are
supposed to accompany the lack of moderators.? The lists I'm on with moderators
constantly have problems mostly from the moderators themselves interferring
where they should just leave things alone.

The moderation list must have the power to set policy and enjoin moderators to
follow that policy without allowing any moderators to put themselves in the
position of complainant, prosecutor, jury, judge, bailiff and jailer as the
case is today.? No free society can function in a system where a single person
can decide the fate of another person entirely.? It's abhorrent to the
principles upon which all of western society is based.

Will Johnson

?