Carl (CBM) wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Charles Matthews
> <charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> (I happen to think that starting by improving existing articles is probably
>> a better training,
>> and certainly an easier one. The question is how to motivate newcomers, to
>> do that or
>> anything else.)
>>

> The difficulty I see for newcomers improving existing articles is
> that, as newcomers, they don't know which things they can change and
> which things they should leave alone.
>
> For example, imagine a well-meaning newbie who sees that our article
> "Logic" starts with "Logic is the study of reasoning." This newbie
> might change that to "Logic is the art and science of correct
> deduction", which is a priori reasonable. They would not know that
> people have argued over the first sentence in detail and that the
> present wording is a compromise between the many definitions of
> "logic" available in reliable sources.   And "Logic" is not at all a
> controversial topic, nor rated as a featured article. If a new user
> were to wade into a featured article on a religious or political
> topic, they would have even less freedom to edit.

Right. Reading down an article and changing the first thing you happen
to disagree with is not an ideal way to work; it happens to suggest
itself to many newcomers, though. I suppose the three pillars of
improving an article are: fact-checking and referencing anything that
appears dubious to you; expanding in areas where coverage seems
obviously lacking; and restructuring. All these really matter more than
wording tweaks, or at least should be given priority. But they require
specific skills (in our terms).

Charles