On 1/4/2013 12:17 PM, James Salsman wrote:
Even the best medical plans don't protect medical debtors the way that
the ability to finance long term personal debt with greater salary and
savings does.
Right, and the best approach would be for employees to get no health insurance at all, I'm sure they would rather have the cost of that benefit paid out in salary instead and be left entirely on their own for medical expenses. Seriously, I know the US approach to paying for healthcare has its problems, but that has to be the most bizarre conclusion I've ever seen on the topic. You think that having people mortgage their future and simply giving them more cash, which they don't ultimately enjoy other than to pay loans at distressed interest rates, is a greater benefit to them than providing the best insurance coverage we can offer?
Three quarters of U.S. debtors entering bankruptcy for
medical reasons have insurance:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/american_journal_of_medicine_09.pdf
Yes, lots of people are underinsured in various ways. The Wikimedia Foundation tries to provide generous health coverage to protect its employees from having to deal with exactly that.

--Michael Snow