On 11/27/13 2:01 PM, Fæ wrote:
As well as finding out where this has happened, it would be good to
have some cases of where "bots went bad" explained. My main concern
would be leaving a bot to create thousands of articles but in the
process creating a headache for limited numbers of maintainers, such
as article copy-editors, categorizers, illustrators, inter-linkers or
gnomic contributors.

One example I recently ran across, while using the georeference data from Wikipedia World, is that bot-imports of villages on the Hindi Wikipedia appear to be creating *thousands* of articles with identical coordinates. There are about 1300 articles georeferenced to the coordinates (25.611, 85.144), for example. I'm not sure if this is an error (default value left in a template?), or has some other explanation. I could imagine it also being a deliberate imprecision, for example using the coordinate for the center of a district for villages where the precise coordinate of the village itself isn't known. In any case, it produces a bit of a mess; these could all be fixed up pretty easily by volunteers checking on OpenStreetMap and the like, but nobody has done so, because there are so many of these stubs.

This particular example: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:hi.wikipedia.org+25.611,+85.144

-Mark