Mark, 13/02/2014 00:58:
In other projects this doesn't seem to be as big of a deal. I'm a heavy
participant in OpenStreetMap, which is an organization legally based in
the UK. That's a country I have no connection to at all. But it doesn't
really matter, because the OSM Foundation does things I benefit from,
since they aren't really UK-specific: they maintain the servers,
maintain and develop the software, look after the legal situation of the
project, etc. As a map editor, I have no complaints with their
stewardship of the core project. Of course, actual mapping activities
happen on a distributed basis (it is difficult to map Denmark well, if
you don't live here), but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with
letting the UK organization continue to manage maintenance of the
servers and software.

OSM has chapters too.

Nemo