stephen,

i think it would be wiser to tackle this technically. let mark a
contribution as "COI" when pressing save. the community will make something
out of it, you can be sure. if a person makes too often errors not marking
that an edit is COI, then its easy to make a community backed rule to ban
the person from the projects for not complying. one can also make a rule
that only 5% of a persons edits are allowed to be COI and the editor
numbers would go up.

but i understand,  your job is in the legal department, so you are only
allowed to produce text, not code, which is a pity :( but please do not
forget, if you write one line of text, there are thousands who read it, and
it might be used in legal hassles - which is not at the core of the "free"
in the wikimedia vision and mission.

rupert.