As far as I am concerned, what was wrong with this situation wasn't that
the Wikimedia Foundation paid a trained academic to edit Wikipedia. I
venture that most donors and members of the general public wouldn't have a
problem with that at all.

What was wrong?

1. The obvious appearance of impropriety given that the Stanton Foundation
is probably the Foundation's single biggest donor, and the administrator of
the Stanton Foundation's funds is married to the director of the Belfer
Center (who according to the center's website has now taken on the former
Wikipedian in Residence as a staff assistant). Whether this was the case or
not, it *looks* like the WMF was simply used so that Mrs Harris could get
Mr Harris another member of staff who would not show up on the Center's
payroll.

2. The fact that the WMF appears to have departed from usual procedures
(such as locating this Wikipedian in Residence in Fundraising, allowing the
Belfer Center to write the job description, etc.) to please its biggest
donor.

3. The fact that in his reports to the WMF the Wikipedian in Residence on
more than one occasion "billed" three hours of research and *six hours* of
drafting in MS Word for a 150-word insertion in a Wikipedia article that
another Wikipedian could have drafted in a fraction of an hour, and that
this apparently was not questioned.

4. The fact that the edits the Wikipedian in Residence made included
conflict-of-interest and copyright violations, according to multiple
Wikipedians.

These, to me, are the real problems. I have no problem *at all* with the
fact that the Wikimedia Foundation paid an academically qualified expert to
make edits to Wikipedia. In fact, I find it disheartening that the
Foundation now feels it has to state that nothing like this will ever
happen again. This is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Let's for a moment look at the practicality of the idea that a Wikipedian
in Residence should not personally edit Wikipedia. If Graham Allison had
physically made the edits that Tim Sandole made, would this have made any
material difference whatsoever to the situation?

Clearly, it would not.

Saying that a Wikipedian in Residence will not physically click Edit, but
will merely instruct experts at his institution in how to make and source
edits (and perhaps even draft them for them in MS Word ...) is a very thin
smokescreen.

The material question is not whether a Wikipedian in Residence will
physically edit. The question is whether the edits resulting from any WiR
placement will be in line with Wikipedia policies and guidelines, including
neutral point of view, conflict of interest, copyright, plagiarism,
verifiability, and so on, and whether they will improve project content -
making it more accurate, more readable, more up to date.

What is required here? It's that whichever person ultimately performs the
edits receive proper training in Wikipedia policies, guidelines, editing
methods, etc., so that their subject matter expertise can be leveraged to
optimum effect. Standardised training courses to impart that
Wikipedia-specific knowledge to subject matter experts are an area the
Foundation could profitably invest in.

Saying that Wikipedians in Residence won't edit doesn't address that. It
merely absolves the Foundation from responsibility - a purely cosmetic
exercise if the quantity and quality of the resulting edits is the same as
it was in this case.

What counts for the reading and donating public is the quality of the edits
that result from a WiR placement, not who makes those edits. The Foundation
should not shirk, but embrace its responsibility to use donated funds to
optimum effect.

Andreas