On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Martijn Hoekstra
<martijnhoeks...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did the fundraising department regard it as "their" programme

No, on the contrary, fundraising actively looped in other staff. Folks
like Siko and Asaf were involved early on. That's how the advice to
not turn this into a paid editing role and to re-craft the JD came
into play in the first place (in turn Lori, Pete, Liam got looped in,
who all articulated this very clearly). In fact for some time, it was
considered to run this as equivalent to a fellowship.

From my read of the situation, as the hiring process dragged on and
Belfer turned down candidates with strong Wikipedia experience, the
programmatic experts ultimately disengaged (seeing that Wikipedia
expertise was not a required part of the job from Belfer's
perspective, so the fellowship model didn't apply). Because the
project had been "held" by fundraising in the first place, it
ultimately ended up solely being managed by the fundraising staff.

> or did they maybe fear deteriorating relations with the donor

If you're a professional fundraiser, it's your job to build and
maintain good relationships with donors - there's nothing wrong with
that. We've taken on restricted grants in the past, and while these
are never a slam dunk and always a bit challenging, on all of these
projects, there has always been a healthy tension between "what the
funder wants" vs. "what WMF thinks we should do", with programmatic
experts providing direct pushback if needed. The issue here isn't that
fundraising tried to maintain good relationships with a funder - the
issue is that the project oversight and execution wasn't firewalled
off to programs as it ordinarily should be.

> Were boundries between fundraising and programmatic activities too vague

Yes.

Erik

--
Erik Möller