Ah yes, David.  We must shock people into being aware of what is happening
in the world.  It's mandatory. How else would Wikimedia function?

I know that's sarcastic.  But it's exactly the kind of attitude - that
forcing people to confront whatever cause the POTD/MOTD person wants them
to confront is a useful method of education - that reduces the value of
Commons.  The person who selected the image does not care that most of the
people who viewed that image saw only dead bodies without context.  Yes,
the world is brutal.  It's not our job to make it less so, nor is our job
to confront people with its brutality unexpectedly. Is that image
appropriate for viewers who have themselves been victims of violence,
including all those in the countries mentioned? What about Holocaust
survivors, many of whom still suffer from the horrendous trauma of those
events more than sixty years later?  They have to see this again so that...
why exactly?

Risker/Anne