I will say, in Lila's defense, that I've been impressed with what I've seen of
her in public. (:

However, Wil, I agree with points others have made. I'm concerned that you're
going to create drama with what you're doing here, and make Lila's and WMF's
jobs more complicated. I am assuming good faith that you are well-intentioned,
but I am worried, not so much for your sake but for the community's, Lila's,
and WMF's.

I would like to show you some options for places where the style of
conversation you are using would be a better fit, where you can ask questions
and have discussions, and which are less politically sensitive than this list
is. Of course you are welcome on this list if you have cross-wiki suggestions
or can't get questions answered elsewhere, and I respect your right to free
speech, but I would ask you to consider these suggestions.

On English Wikipedia, you will find friendly and helpful people at our
Teahouse. [1] For questions and realtime help you can also visit
#wikipedia-en-help on Freenode IRC.

If you want to get to know Wikipedians, I suggest that you join local volunteer
meetups such Wiknic if there is one in your area. In those circumstances most
people are happy to socialize. [2] If you are able to attend WikiConference USA
in New York, I think you would enjoy it. [3]

If you want to have electronic conversations that are more chatty and less
formal than the discussions on this list, I suggest IRC. #wikipedia-en is a
high profile channel and many of the questions that you asked here could be
discussed in there. And as I said above, for realtime help you can visit
#wikipedia-en-help. However, I ask as a personal favor that you don't have
conversations in #wikimedia-office which is the main WMF channel. I can't stop
you from talking there any more than I can take away your free speech rights,
but I think any communications in there from you would create more
complications.

I feel it's ok for you or any Wikipedian in good standing to talk on WO if they
want, but engaging in semi-official diplomacy is a very different matter, if
that's what you're doing (I haven't checked your edits and I don't want to).
There may come a time when you have the community's trust and can act in
 high-profile ways with the support of the community, but at the moment the
discussion on this email list tells me that your actions are creating
complications to the start of Lila's tenure in ways that have me worried. To
use an analogy, imagine Michelle Obama saying in public that her personal
opinion is that Barack Obama should have diplomatic talks with <insert hostile
country here> or revoke <insert executive order here>, or that she personally
has been conducting outreach to <insert hostile country here> without going
through the State Department. That would create complications for Barack Obama
and lots of other people, even though Michelle has a right to communicate her
views.

I am available to answer questions if you have any for me. You can ask on my
Meta talk page, on my English Wikipedia talk page, through email, or set up a
time to meet me on IRC or Skype. I'm sure other participants in this discussion
would also be willing to talk with you in places other than this list.

If I have misunderstood your position please correct me. I appreciate your
interest in Wikipedia and I hope you will be a net positive to the community.
(:

Pine

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wicnik