On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 8:51 AM, ENWP Pine <deyntest...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I will say, in Lila's defense, that I've been impressed with what I've
> seen of her in public. (:
>
> However, Wil, I agree with points others have made. I'm concerned that
> you're going to create drama with what you're doing here, and make Lila's
> and WMF's jobs more complicated. I am assuming good faith that you are
> well-intentioned, but I am worried, not so much for your sake but for the
> community's, Lila's, and WMF's.

I will just add a little to Pine's comments here.

The way the Wikimedia movement has developed, we've ended up with some
prominent fora that tend to be high-drama and low-effectiveness. Even this
list has a fairly low signal-to-noise ratio most of the time, as in many
threads the people with real insights into a situation tend not to post for
one reason or another, while people with axes to grind do so far more.

If you want to explore the Wikimedia movement then absolutely great, but
there are better ways to do it! Pine's suggestions are a good start - also,
there are various conferences and events, I think there's one in the USA
coming up, then Wikimania in London in a few months.

Also, just a word about free speech. If you or someone close to you is in a
leadership position, then you have responsibilities - either to them, or to
the organisation, or to both. I'm a bit concerned that if conversations
like this one keep going, then when Lila comes out of "watch and listen"
mode, the first thing she's going to hear from this list is a bunch of
questions about you.

I think one of the main learning points for the Foundation over the last
few years is that there is only a certain amount of "oxygen" in the
community for thought and discussion. If I were you I'd do Lila the favour
of making sure that she can use as much of that oxygen as she wants, and
limit the amount you're taking for yourself.

Kind regards, and look forward to meeting you sometime,

Chris