Marc,

I am sure you are aware of the discussion here:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Sue_Gardner#Child_protection

Those concerns were raised not by banned trolls, but by members of the
English Wikipedia's arbitration committee, and other users with advanced
permissions. They were raised over a year ago, and as far as I am aware,
the situation is unchanged.

You said earlier,

"In practice, everything of value that bubbles up from WO will reach
'mainstream' venues soon enough if it was legitimate."

In a sense you're right: this was brought up by mainstream players, in a
mainstream locale: Sue's talk page. However, the fact of the matter is
that *nothing
has been done to address the concern*.

You say, "WO (nor WR before it) has nothing to do with this, isn't even
actually aware of the nature of the issues, nor has it uncovered anything
significant on the matter".

You may remember the case on Commons of Beta-M, a man who newspapers
reported was jailed in the US for distribution of child pornography and
deported, and who subsequently took on a key role as a curator of adult
content on Commons. He also left messages on dozens of Commons user talk
pages inviting them to send him nude pictures of themselves for use on his
private website. He was eventually removed from Wikimedia projects by WMF
office action – one of very few of this kind ever taken – against the will
of the Commons community.

The sole reason for the office action was that the matter of his prior
conviction was brought up by WR/WO critics. I have no doubt that he would
have carried on much as before otherwise.

Another self-described pedophile recently offered nude pictures of his wife
to Commons, as discussed on this mailing list a few days ago. At one point,
he was trying to re-write the child protection policy on Meta, a fact which
was brought up on Geoff Brigham's user talk page on Meta.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Geoffbrigham#Leucosticte

He is still free to contribute to Wikimedia projects, despite a number of
people now having raised his contributions as problematic.

The recent terms-of-use change proposal to address paid editing came in the
wake of reporting on Wiki-PR's sockpuppet army by the Daily Dot.

The situation had been festering on-wiki for months. One longstanding
bureaucrat resigned over it.

Qworty contributed for over half a decade. What complaints there were about
him over the years never led to action, until a journalist wrote an exposé
of him.

I do not see self-regulation working effectively. Sometimes, outside
criticism is vital, as it is for *any organisation in society*. In that
sense, I see our effort as making a productive contribution.