Russavia,

I am aware that that is the issue (and I was talking about the original
problem images, not this letter).  I'm a bit confused though about the
parody/satire angle, my understanding is that a CC licence does not
extinguish things such as moral rights that are not related to copyright.
 Also, I do find it a bit odd that the Israeli Ministry of Justice would be
comfortable disclaiming any copyright to the image within Israel per their
letter, but would be uncomfortable licencing them in other jurisdictions
under a licence that does essentially the same thing.  We can but only ask,
and see what they say; if they say "no" for the reasons you outline then
nothing has been lost.  I do agree that the Australian Commonwealth is
behind the curve as well here, but in my experience and with some
honourable exceptions, most federal bureaucrats still conflate these issues
with the unrelated matter of FOI law.

But, I guess what I'm trying to get at, is that if these images *are*
useful, a more productive course of action than arguing about it on a
mailing list would probably be to identify what steps can be taken in good
faith to move them from a disputed copyright situation to a situation where
everyone is comfortable that there are no problems with re-use.  If all the
energy that had gone into these threads and the various tit-for-tat
nominations on Commons had gone into that instead, we'd probably already be
halfway there.

Cheers,
Craig