Hi,

> It is a bit crazy :-) The use to be copyright holder of these files is
> Israeli goverment. But according to the goverment it does not claim
> any copyrights as it clearly stated that the these files are not
> copyrightable, and it is no longer copyright holder. One can have an
> assumption that next Israeli government may change its mind. But the
> government can change the mind even if it releases these pictures
> under CC-0 waiver. In most jurisdictions the licenses can be revoked
> and the non-revocable clauses in CC and GNU/FAL licenses have no any
> legal value.
>
> I mean the absolute attitude of Commons towards copyright  freedom of
> media hardly make any sense in most jurisdictions. It ignores many
> facts and is sticked to some others without clear reasons. This not an
> absolute as in absolute terms there is no any single media about which
> one can say it is free globally with 100% certainty, and also it is
> not any practical attitude really preventing our re-users from legal
> problems, as we mainly ignore non-copyright legal issues. This is
> rather a derivative of long discussions on Commons which are subject
> of group thinking syndrome, which made some arguments kind of dogma .

Yes, good point, and that's exactly what I am saying all the time. ;oD
Nevertheless a number of admins and non-admins on Commons still insist
that every files on Commons should be free globally with 100%
certainty.
I think this is a poor understanding of how copyright law works.

>> So you want them to have a letter "You are allowed to use these images that
>> you are allowed to use" but if the letter says that the reason that they're
>> allowed to use it is that they are allowed to use it, it is not valid.
>>
>> Shouldn't we be welcoming free content rather than inventing far out
>> reasons to think why they maybe in some way are not free and thus delete
>> them?

Yeah. I think we need to assume good faith, even from the Isreali
government. ;oD

Anyway, I think that the matter was handled very poorly by Russavia,
who started the deletion request.
As I said there, a request to the IDF could have been sent before, and
the DR open only later if a negative answer is received.

Regards,

Yann