> Samuel Klein <meta.sj@...> writes:
>
> I think a better formulation of the question might be: "do we have a
> list of non-editing activities, and do we have a count of the number
> of people who do them regularly?"
>
> To which the answer is partially-yes, and mostly-no.
>
> Yes: There is a mindmap of activities and roles that was created and
> is fairly comprehensive.
>
> No: Some of those activities have related logs (lists of users by
> technical flag) or categories (list of users who have categorized
> their userpage), or pages (lists of OTRS or press contacts, lists of
> members or a project or organization). But I've never seen a division
> of these into active v. passive (committee work v. group membership),
> or a total count.
>
> SJ
>
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Johan Jönsson <brevlistor <at>
gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Wikimedia volunteers are self-organised, why would there be a list?
> >>

> > Because we love making lists.
> >
> > That being said, Richard list wiki-specific positions like "ArbCom", which
> > I suppose would mean that "volunteers for the Wikimedia Foundation" should
> > be understood in a broad sense, and if so, the answer is definitely no.
> >
> > Even when some lists exists, like the e.g. the press room list Benjamin
> > linked, they're in no way complete. For example, the press contact for
> > Wikimedia Sweden (which, of course, is technically not a volunteer position
> > for Wikimedia Foundation, since the chapters are independent and sometimes
> > do stuff that's not related to the Wikimedia movement) is listed, but
> > Swedish-language Wikipedia has a volunteer press contact of its own, who
> > isn't.
> >
> > //Johan Jönsson
> > --
> > http://wikipediabloggen.se

(emailing thru Gmane since I only track this thru RSS so my apologies if it
comes out funky; I dislike the enormous email volume these lists generate)

I'm surprised no one seems to have mentioned that Part I, question 6 of the
Form 990 which asks for total volunteers. For year 2011, 85,000 was the
number year 2010 has 100,000. See
http://990finder.foundationcenter.org/990results.aspx?990_type=&fn=wikimedia&st=&zp=&ei=&fy=&action=Find

In addition, it is typical for directors and officers liability policies to
ask for an estimate of the number of volunteers (no idea if WMF's insurer
does, but when I last shopped for nonprofit D&O it was a pretty standard
question). While I doubt the IRS cares much about the accuracy of this
particular number, the D&O insurer can use a bad estimate as an excuse to
void coverage due to material misrepresentation when a claim is filed.