On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Many new features (e.g., the improved search backend) are deployed fairly
> regularly
> without fanfare or objection.

Indeed, change-aversion tends to correlate pretty strongly with impact
on existing workflows [1] and noticeable changes to user experience
and behavior. This is pretty clearly laid out by a Google UX
researcher here:
https://www.gv.com/lib/change-aversion-why-users-hate-what-you-launched-and-what-to-do-about-it

Media Viewer is actually a perfect example of this -- most of the
functionality people expect (get to the File: page, see a summary, see
categories, get the full-size version, get multiple resolutions, see
attribution information, etc.) is there; it just takes a little while
to get used to it being in a different place, and a negative first
reaction is perfectly understandable.

It's normal and expected that the first reaction to noticeable user
experience changes will often be negative. This is why we shouldn't
base decision-making solely on early-stage RFCs and first reactions.
Just look at the responses to major redesigns by Flickr, NYT, and
others -- almost universally negative, irrespective of what the data
actually says about user and readership growth or decline as a
consequence of these changes.

The difference between us and more corporate approaches to product and
user experience design is that we work very closely with the community
in the product development cycle, and Media Viewer is again a good
example of a multi-month development process with lots of community
participation and consultation and a dedicated community liaison
(Keegan) supporting the process throughout.

But we'll still face the normal patterns of first reactions described
in the article above. For this reason, we need to apply judgment on a
case-by-case basis when interpreting these types of responses.

Erik

[1] http://xkcd.com/1172/

--
Erik Möller