If you don't want to do small opt-in trials, release software in a fully
production-ready and usable state. What's getting released here is barely
ready for beta. It's buggy, it's full of unexpected UX issues, it's not
ready to go live on one of the top 10 websites in the world. It's got to be
in really good shape to get there.

Until software is actually ready for widescale use, small and very limited
beta tests are exactly the way to go, followed by maybe slightly larger UAT
pools. Yeah, that takes longer and requires actual work to find willing
testers. Quit taking shortcuts through your volunteers.