It should be relatively easy to catch a significant percentage of those
copyright violations with the assistance of automated search tools. The
trick is to do it at a large scale in near-realtime, which might require
some computationally intensive and bandwidth intensive work. James, can I
suggest that you take this discussion to Wiki-Research-l? There are a
number of ways that the copyright violation problem could be addressed and
I think this would be a good subject for discussion on that list, or at
Wikimania. Depending on how the discussion on Research goes, it might be
good to invite some dev or tech ops people to participate in the discussion
as well.

Pine