On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 3:33 AM, Quim Gil <q...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I think the core of the problem is how to increase the participation of
> tech-curious contributors, and how to structure it in a way that informs,
> influences, and actually joins the development process effectively.
>
> How can we increase the participation in technical matters among Wikimedia
> editors and readers?

Fwiw.  My approach for this is based on simple fundamental properties of
the interface (which I believe to be responsible for the success of wikis
in the first place).  Based, at least in part, on my own experience, I
believe the key to giving new contributors a path to gradually increasing
involvement is <takes a deep breath> to have everything be done by directly
editing wiki markup.  Seriously.  This has been my experience.  You start
out doing some very simple things like correcting a misspelling.  Because
you are actually editing the wiki markup, as you correct that spelling
error you can see how other wiki markup is structured, that others have
written.  As you get more involved, from time to time you choose to
exercise some slightly more advanced technique you knew was possible, and
had some broad notion how to do, because you'd seen that others were doing
it, and you'd seen how they did it.  And so on.

You may notice that this vision of what promotes gradually increased
participation is in direct conflict with the idea of Visual Editor.  My
premise implies that Visual Editor undermines (incidentally, for this
thread) the core infrastructural advantage that makes wikis a successful
concept.

In order to extend this gradual-advancement path into the sharing of
community expertise in how to perform technically complicated tasks ---
which I see as a major need of all the wikimedian sisters --- I had the
idea of creating a set of templates (thus, keeping things within the
purview of wiki markup) for adding interactive elements to wiki pages:
text boxes, radio buttons, menus, and *buttons* that pass the contents of
those text boxes to "actions" that do things with them:  feeding them into
other pages as input-element content, as template parameters, and as new
(or initial) content in page edits.  I've been at this for... I guess it's
three years now, creating these basic facilities with a mix, under the
hood, of wiki markup, javascript, html, and (recently) lua.  Although it
was obvious from the start this would be most efficiently done as a wiki
extension, I reckoned (sorry to be blunt) the development process for wiki
extensions was stacked against anything that doesn't cater to central
authority's notion of what would most benefit Wikipedia.  (Yes I worded
that deliberately, though cynically; I've acquired my cynicism by watching
what actually gets done over the six or seven years since I got
sufficiently involved with wikimedia to notice.)  Fwiw, after three years,
I'm just about ready to start trying to use my tools for some serious
applications; yonder <https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Help:Dialog>.

Pi zero