About
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard#Suggestion_for_the_Board:_Technology_Committee

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Quim, can you clarify your comments about the Technology Committee? The
> committee is my proposal as a community member; it is not a top-down,
> Board-created idea. Its membership is designed to be broadly representative
> of the MediaWiki user community. The Board mandate is necessary to give
> TechCom similar placement to AffCom, the FDC, and other community-led and
> Board-chartered committees that report directly to the Board. I am not sure
> how you see TechCom as anything but a community-based organization.

This is just my personal opinion. Sitting here every day, and seeing also
not only the big hot topics but the many small novelties and discussions
that the tech community generates, the Tech Ambassadors are the ones
actually doing something in order to keep a fluent communication between
developers and editors today. I would encourage and empower them to try out
solutions to get the communities better involved as participants of our
development process.

I would trust a process promoted by the Tech Ambassadors and evolved
through many iterations and lessons learned, more than a committee that
went from community proposal to board approval in one go. I don't think the
problems we have will be solved by a committee of members elected or
appointed for periods of n years. I would rather see how certain
ambassadors earn the respect of their content projects and the technical
community (WMF teams included) through continuous participation, wise
words, and useful work.

Yes, we need some structure, but a light and flexible structure that fits
in our open source development process.