<sigh>
This is all very nice "going forward", but it completely misses the salient
points.

1. It is an egregious social blunder to act as Erik has done - he
apologised (sort of) on  the English Wiki, he should at the very least have
the grace to do so on the German,

2. There are concerns about the MV software breaking attribution (among
other things).  These need to be taken seriously.  I am not familiar with
the detail, but if they are supported by fact the Media VIewer should be
withdrawn until it is fixed. Breaking the law is not what the free content
movement is about.

3. The Mediawiki community are knowledgeable, intelligent and experienced
as a group.  They are not objecting because they are reactionary old farts,
but because there are significant issues.  It is standard software
development practice to have a roll-back plan in place in case of just such
an event.  It is not and should not be seen as a "defeat" or "climbdown" to
disable a new component while  improvements are made.  It is a learning
opportunity.

4. Superprotect. The suggestion that all software on the projects needs to
go through code review is absurd posturing that points up the cultural
difficulties.  If there are features that should not be accesible to
Admins, then the software should not expose them.  Traditionally, though,
such features have resulted in a divisive environment with chages to
configuration requested and denied by devs on the grounds that "we know
best".

5. Development.  Note that the community does not have head-to-head clashes
with legal, financial and other parts of the Foundation. The development
team includes some of the best and the brightest of Wikipedians recruited
over the years.  I have had the pleasure of talking to several of them at
Wikimanias, and despite the fact that they are lovely people, there is a
sense that they have become increasingly out of touch with the  community,
and convinced that they are the guardians of the one-true-flame.  I might
cite the developer  who changed his mind three times during the Hifa
Wikimania over the solution to the "parser function" problem.  His sole
decision  resulted in considerable effort being directed in a way that took
years to deliver a result, when what we were asking for could have been
delivered in ten minutes.

6.Mission statement. The mission is to "encourage and empower" the
community.  Not to bully and coerce it. I believe that during the time the
WMF has turned its gaze outwards, to attempt (mostly unsuccessfully) to
grow and diversify the editor base it lost focus on its mission.  We need
to refocus so that the WMF can encourage and empower the community
efficiently.  We need to ask the difficult questions on Gender Gap, on
content, on translation, on advocacy, on wiki-culture - and yes on HCI
too.  We need to work with academic partners, talented volunteers,
contractors and staff  to build evidence on which to base our decisions.
We need to build the software development structure Lila talks of.  We need
to engage in content building strategies.  All this will be a thousand
times as fruitful with an "encourage and empower" dynamic than  the present
confrontational one.

All the best, Rich Farmbrough.

On 14 August 2014 15:00, Manuel Schneider <manuel.schnei...@wikimedia.ch>
wrote:

> Hi Jan-Bart,
>
> thanks for this statement.
> Thanks to all on the board and Lila working on this, the improvement of
> our website and trying to recover the trust of our community.
>
> /Manuel
>
> Am 14.08.2014 15:42, schrieb Jan-Bart de Vreede:
> > Some of you have asked the Board and its individual members for
> feedback. Some of us are already in conversation with you or are planning
> to answer on different pages. This is our general common statement:
>
> [...]
>
> --
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Landline (UK) 01780 757 250
Mobile (UK) 0798 1995 792