Well, I think that the "article editing" project (i.e., VE)  has a huge
potential for also resolving a lot of discussion space issues.  I don't see
tacking on yet another UI as being a positive for new editor introduction
or retention, and cannot think of another significant site that has two
such wildly divergent interfaces (one very flexible and the other very
rigid in structure), except perhaps in the mobile vs. desktop situation.

I dunno, Marc.  There are different expectations about signature, depending
on the target group.  We still have people being freaked out that article
histories contain their username or IP (a form of automatic signature), so
I'm not convinced that there's an expectation on the part of new users that
anything they write anywhere will automatically be signed.

Risker/Anne